Welcome to the first of many blog postings from our Support team. The Support team members are excited to begin this new series which will give us an opportunity to informally present common situations our customers face in addition to tips and tricks that can help readers just starting out with RTI Connext. The postings in this series are not meant to be as detailed as our Solutions in our knowledge base but they will contain enough information to be beneficial to the end user. If you have any questions on what’s presented in the postings, please feel free to leave comments and we’ll respond. If you have an actual support question, please contact us directly using one of the channels mentioned below.
For this first posting, I’ll explain what you get with a Maintenance and Support (M&S) agreement, how to contact RTI Support and how to get the most out of RTI Support.
So you purchased a Maintenance and Support agreement. Now what?
Customers with an active M&S agreement have access to RTI’s support staff and online customer portal.
Access to RTI support staff includes:
- Technical assistance on how to use the RTI Connext products.
- Assistance debugging distributed systems using the RTI Connext products.
- Advice on general implementation questions or workarounds to known issues.
- Assistance installing and configuring of the RTI Connext products.
- RTI support phone line 9/6 PST and 09:00 – 18:00 UTC+1 Time (Madrid, Spain).
- Email access to Support.
Access to the RTI Online Customer Portal includes:
- Online access through the RTI Support portal for examples and solutions to common problems.
- Access to new and updated software versions of the licensed RTI products.
- Access to patches and engineering releases.
- Searchable, Online documentation.
- Case history, including open and closed cases.
There are three ways to get access to our support staff. The primary way is through the online customer portal. Users can log into the portal at http://support.rti.com to open a new case or view previous cases. When a support case is submitted through the online portal, a member of the support team will respond with a comment in the case. The user will receive an email notification stating that there is a new comment in the case and they will have to log in to review it. Users and support team members can also attach files to a case, and the user will have to log in to download the file.
The second most common way to gain access to the support staff is via our support email: email@example.com. When an email is sent to our support alias, a new case is automatically created in our case management system. Users can log in to the customer portal to view the case, however, there is an important difference between the portal method and the email method of accessing support. When a case is created using the email alias, the support team will respond to the user via email. This gives the customer the flexibility to have communications be through email or through the online portal, whichever they prefer.
The third way to contact RTI Support is through our support hotline. However, before I give out the phone numbers I would like to mention that this year we established a new Spanish Development Center (SDC) in Granada, Spain. Not only will we have a development team at this new location, we will also have a support staff which will help us provide better global support coverage to our customers. We are very excited about this and look forward to providing faster response times to our EMEA and APAC customers.
Our support hotline is definitely the least used method among the three. I believe this is because of the nature of the problems customers face when using RTI Connext. It is very hard to resolve issues on the phone since we usually have to spend time researching past cases and creating reproducers. So when a call comes in, our support staff will create a new case and record as much information as possible.
The phone numbers and hours of our support hotline are:
RTI Support – USA
(408) 990 7444
9am – 6pm Pacific Standard Time hours
RTI Support – EMEA
+34 (958) 27 88 62
09:00 – 18:00 UTC+1 Time (Madrid, Spain)
If for some reason a support engineer is unavailable to answer the line, a caller will be able to leave a voicemail. When leaving a voicemail, please include the following: RTI Customer ID for the account; Named User; and Case Number if calling about a current or previous case.
Something important to consider when contacting RTI Support: Regardless of which method is used to contact support, the more information that is provided up front the faster we can help to resolve the issue. We recommend that the following information be provided with the initial case submission:
- Problem description:
- What’s the problem?
- Any error/warning messages? Attaching an Error Log can be the simplest method of providing this information.
- Describe your scenario. How often does it happen? When does it happen (startup, steady state…)?
- Is it easy to reproduce? How is the problem reproduced? If possible, please provide a HelloWorld-style reproducer.
- If using the RTI monitoring library, attaching the log from RTI Monitor GUI can be useful.
- Configuration description:
- Product Version number: e.g. RTI Connext 4.5f.
- Architecture on which the issue is occurring (e.g. i86Linux2.6gcc3.4.3).
- Programming language (e.g. C, C++, Java)
- QoS settings for your applications. Attaching your QoS XML configuration file, if you are using one, can be the simplest method of providing this information.
- IDL/Data types used.
- Description of your test environment (e.g. number of hosts and processes).
- Any special circumstances or configuration that you feel bears upon the problems you are experiencing.
- If the case is in regards to an RTI tool, please include XML configuration file for the tool.
As a reminder of the above, an automatic response email is sent to the user when submitting a case via the online customer portal or through email.
If you have any questions on the above information, please don’t hesitate to contact RTI Support (you now know how to).
RTI Support Manager