The use of robotics is growing across all industries and all facets of our lives. Robots can be found virtually everywhere, doing tasks ranging from mundane to extraordinary. Today, robots are used for sorting and distributing packages in distribution warehouses, for diffusing bombs in military campaigns, for space exploration on Mars and beyond, for minimally invasive surgery in operating rooms, for underwater exploration, for controlling autonomous tractors in agriculture, and much more. Even our cars are evolving into self-driving robots.
In order to effectively serve these many roles, robotic systems are becoming more and more complex, involving many processors working together and integrating disparate components into a heterogeneous system. These complex systems require mission-critical execution as well as real-time performance.
To meet these requirements many companies are turning to the Data Distribution Service (DDS) standard for the communication backbone of their robotic systems. DDS is a middleware protocol and API standard for data-centric connectivity from the Object Management Group (OMG). It’s used to integrate components of a system, providing low-latency data connectivity, extreme reliability, and a scalable architecture that business and mission-critical required by Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
And the good news is that RTI’s DDS implementation is being used by (or designed into) many of the robotics applications listed above. RTI Connext DDS is extremely well suited to robotics applications because it provides:
- High reliability. Connext DDS is industry-proven, it’s been used in mission-critical applications around the world, and it has been deployed in more applications than any other DDS implementation.
- Security. Connext DDS Secure provides the world’s first standards-compliant, off-the-shelf messaging platform that delivers the security, performance, and safety required for Industrial IoT deployment. It complies with the new Data Distribution Service (DDS) Security specification from OMG.
- Safety certification. Connext DDS is the only DDS implementation to achieve DO178A level C certification.
- High throughput and low latency communication.
- Support for communication transports. This includes UDP, TCP, bare, CAN bus, and shared memory. RTI’s DDS implementation includes a plugin transport architecture that makes it easy to create custom transports.
- Standardization. DDS provides a standard API allows developers to port DDS applications to any DDS implementation. DDS also provides a standard wire protocol (RTPS) that allows different DDS protocols to communicate with each other. This provides interoperability and eliminates vendor lock-in.
To learn more about RTI Connext DDS and its support for robotics applications, please join us at the upcoming seminar:
Hilton Garden Inn
9:00am to 12:00pm